Saturday, February 25, 2012

Left in a Jam: Door Jam Cuffs from Babeland

I was very excited about receiving the Sportsheets Door Jam Cuffs as I was hoping to have some simple, easy-to-use restraints that my partners and I could grab and set up without much hassle. While these certainly promised that, I found they were completely unusable due to the fact that once they were set in place at the top of the door they were too high for me to be strapped into.



I received the cuffs from Babeland almost a week after a request for them was made, just as expected. The mailing package was a cardboard box with a return address under Mail Order for discretion, which was appreciated. The cardboard box was actually too large for the product turns out and the packing paper was sparse for the size. This all left it so that when I finally received the package, half of it was crushed. While this did no damage to the product, I would recommend that Babeland opt for smaller packages in the future, just in case.



The Sportsheets Door Jam Cuffs package wasn't exactly discreet itself with a picture of a male and female couple in their underwear with the female in the cuffs. While the depicted couple aren't nude or overtly explicit, the picture certainly isn't discreet.



The package doesn't have much as far as information, only that they are adjustable and fit over or under any door. I had to look on the Babeland website to learn that the materials were fleece, velcro, nylon and plastic. There wasn't a note about phthalates but the plastic did not give off any offensive odor to suggest chemicals.

When we got the cuffs out of the package, they were ready to use. My husband and I both put a cuff on and found the velcro adjusted no matter the wrist size. The fleece cuff was very comfortable and soft enough to prevent chaffing and bruising. We then tugged hard on the nylon strap, as we can be pretty rough on restraints, but no give or damage showed, leaving us both impressed by the material.



My husband set the cuffs over our closet door, so we could use them in the privacy of our bedroom. My initial worry was whether or not the door itself could handle weight bearing on the top of it or any rough play we would decide to do. However, my worries were unfounded as we could use the cuffs there no longer than 5 minutes.



I am only 5 feet tall and my wrists barely make it to the straps at the top of the door. My husband attempted to adjust them but the nylon doesn't stretch or adjust. During the 5 minutes or so that I was restrained to the door my shoulders and arms quickly became uncomfortable. When I began to lose feeling in my hands and fingers I told my husband who immediately helped me out of them.

In the end I could not use the cuffs as they were intended for wrist restraints and being restrained by my ankles at the door does not hold much appeal to me.



After play, I looked at the cuffs with care and maintenance in mind. The plastic easily comes out of the nylon loop for washing and the nylon strap and attached metal D-ring can be wiped off with a damp rag if necessary. The fleece and velcro, however, do not lend themselves to easy cleaning. Wiping the fleece down might mat the furry fabric and velcro can be damaged with cleaning. In the end these would be difficult to clean or sanitize.

The cuffs are fairly small and can be easily tossed into my toy drawer. It would have been nice for them to have some sort of reusable case or bag for storage though.

Overall, despite liking the feel of the cuffs, I am unable to use them due to lack of adjustable strap and am not fond of the lack of being unable to clean them thoroughly.

FTC Statement: The Babeland Door Jam Cuffs were provided to Mimi by Babeland’s affiliate program as a review assignment. Links from Babeland’s Affiliate Program have been used. This has not affected the opinions within the review, and complies with FTC standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment