Monday, March 25, 2013

His Need, Her Desire: Book Review

His Need, Her Desire by Malia Mallory

Tabitha Quinn didn't come to Hawaii to be spanked. But when vacationing businessman Marcus Granger saves her from drowning, they begin an affair that moves from the beach to the bedroom and straight into an experience Tabitha's never had before: dark-haired, blue-eyed Marcus is a dominant, and spanking is just the beginning. The sex is intense, the emotion even more so, until they both must decide if this is a holiday fling or the real thing. ~ Blurb from Mallory's website


One of the things I love about Mallory’s writing is that it is never burdened by over-descriptive settings and needless detail. The focus is on the characters, the dialogue, the plot and the steamy romance just as it should be.
I also enjoy how ambiguous Mallory is when it comes to describing her main female character. This allows the reader to place herself into the story without feeling like it is a stretch of the imagination.

My favorite part is the approach to BDSM in a safe and respectful manner.
I can see the idea intrigues you. It's what I referred to earlier when I said I like to be in charge in the bedroom. I wasn't kidding. In truth, though, it's dictated by you, your limits, and your comfort zone. I don't go outside that. I wouldn't want to. If it isn't good for you, it isn't good for me. Does that make it sound less … daunting?”

As Tabitha thought about it, she realized it wasn't Marcus that she didn't trust. It was herself. Tabitha didn't know if she could give up control. She was afraid of losing herself. She sensed it would be either the most liberating thing she had ever done or the biggest mistake she would ever make.

I know that there will be a little backlash about this story with the buzz buzz about 50 Shades going around. Middle-class girl meets rich kinkster isn't a new concept (and it wasn't knew before the shades series either, might I add) but the concept is popular for a reason - what woman into kink doesn't fantasize about some handsome sugar-daddy who can tease and torment her in all the right ways?

Mallory has said that some readers thought the BDSM relationship in this story was unbelievable and unrealistic. I'm not sure what part they were pointing out as being unrealistic (except for Tabitha's lack of training and yet uncanny ability to pick up what to do as a sub so quickly - which I'm sure was done for sake of skipping over boring parts). I would like to say that most D/s or M/s relationships are as varied as any other relationship, including their kinky play.

The only complaint I have about Mallory’s work is that there are some grammar errors, type-os, and awkward sentence structure in places. I can look past a lot of this but if you’re a grammar-nazi, you might have some issues staying focused. Her work could be truly amazing with some light editing.

I could also say that the story was almost too short for me...but there is a sequel to quench my thirst for more of Tabitha and Marcus.


I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

His Need, Her Desire is available on Amazon



His Desire, Her Surrender, the Sequel to His Need, Her Desire is also available on Amazon Kindle

For more Malia Mallory reviews on my blog - check out A is for Anal and B is for Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment